Category: Fit Out or Refurbishment €5m to 30m
Project: 16 St Stephens Green
Contractor: Flynn Management & Contractors Ltd
Client: October Investments
Architect: RKD Architects
Certified to LEED GOLD, this prestigious protected structure overlooking St. Stephen’s Green was expertly restored and connected via a glass bridge to stunning new contemporary office space over seven storeys.
16 St. Stephens Green is located on the northside of St.Stephen’s Green and was constructed in 1776 by the surgeon-developer Gustavus Hume. Enjoying protected status, the original house has prime positioning in the historic Georgian city, facing onto the Green. As a consequence, a clear vision for this project was crucial.
Previously the residence for the Archbishops of Dublin, the house was originally adorned with very fine decorative plasterwork. In 1920 it was sold to the Presbyterian Association who remained in the property until selling it again in 1973 and this was followed in 1980 by construction of an office block connected to the house.
For this most recent refurbishment by Flynn Management & Contractors, the Georgian building was in good condition generally, and the conservation work carried out further consolidated the fabric of the building.With many of the original heritage features retained, the refurbishment reflected the house’s heritage.
Conservation and repair work was carried out on the stonework, brickwork, faience, ironwork, roofs, chimneys, floors, staircases, windows, doors and plasterwork. Vegetable matter and any encrusted salts were removed from the stone and brickwork. All stone and brickwork was cleaned and all brickwork repointed.
The early decoration of the building provided the perfect palette for restoring Georgian features to their original elegant splendour, remaining faithful to the Georgian Dublin aesthetic while embracing the modern materials throughout the rest of the building. The new glazed link also provides the greatest interconnectivity possible between the protected structure and modernised office building ensuring beauty and function are harmonised, all resulting in a combination of contemporary office space and Georgian elegance.
Through careful planning and execution, the project team not only delivered on the clients brief but also surpassed those expectations, while at the same time developing community relationships. The bespoke modern glazing and restored Georgian façade provides an elegant finish that draws attention and acclaim and remains in harmony with the elegant Georgian surroundings of this prime city centre location.