This week we look at the first of four nominees for the Fit Out or Refurbishment Under €10m category in this year’s Irish Construction Excellence (ICE) Awards, proudly sponsored by Surety Bonds.
Category: Fit Out or Refurbishment Under €10m
Project: Fexco Innovation Centre and RDI Hub
Contractor: Vision Contracting Limited
Client: Fexco Unlimited Company, RDI Hub CLG (Fexco, MTU, Kerry County Council)
Lead Architect: Henry J Lyons.
Engineer: Malachy Walsh & Partners
The Fexco Innovation Centre and RDI Hub in Killorglin, Co Kerry, completed in late 2019 by Vision Contracting, houses leading global fintech company Fexco’s Research Development and Innovation Centre and RDI Hub – a world-class centre for digital innovation focused on commercialisation of innovation and research.
Over 125 Fexco staff work in 37,000 sq ft of the building that houses the company’s global R&D, Innovation and IT activities, and is aimed at driving Fexco’s continuing development. The west wing of the building has been donated by Fexco to become of the home of RDI Hub, and house 136 people on its programmes and in its co-location space. RDI Hub was established last year as a not for profit public-private partnership facilitating innovation and start-ups in the fintech and artificial intelligence (AI) sectors.
The completed building exemplifies what can be achieved when there are free-flowing communications, community engagement and each team member is personally invested in a project’s success. Early contractor involvement, clear lines of communication and having well-resourced subcontractors working collaboratively contributed to the success of this complex project.
Fexco required a building that would attract talented innovators to the southwest and inspire collaboration and innovation. Vision Contracting was provided with a vacant 6,000 sq.m. industrial unit in which to achieve this.
Vision assembled a highly motivated team of over 50 mostly south-west-based specialist contractors and tradespeople who delivered a three-story natural light-filled and inspiring building that far exceeded the client’s expectations in terms of interpretation of the brief, innovative use of construction materials and quality of fit-out finishes, not to mention the project was completed within budget and four weeks early.
The redundant Liebig factory building was stripped back to its steel frame structure, and a new 3 story administration and entrance block extension was constructed as part of the overall redevelopment works. The existing north light roof structure and facades were progressively removed reconstructed and upgraded as part of the new works. The newly completed facility now includes 6000m2 of contemporary office space, constructed to high end fitout standard with cutting edge technology and connectivity.
The new Hub facilities includes extensive open plan office areas, an auditorium, and several collaboration spaces with adjoining conference rooms and prototype development spaces which are also used to host Hub community events such as workshops and meetups.
A number of standalone Accelerator, Research, Project and Focus Rooms were also constructed within the open plan office space to facilitate individual company start-up needs. The fit out scope included the management and coordination of a number of specialist works contractors in respect of the building services, electrical works, data and IT installations. Extensive air conditioning and mechanical ventilation works were also installed to heat and to cool the large open plan office area.
The work scope included substantial fit out elements consisting of bespoke fitted joinery with multiple fabric and metal finishes, interstitial data cabling, wiring installations and controls together with loose furniture fittings, such as reception desks, meeting room tables, workstations, office dividers & glazed partitions.
The Fexco Innovation Centre facilities include extensive open plan office areas, an atrium style reception area extending over 3 floors and several break out meeting spaces with adjoining meeting and conference rooms. These have been fitted out to the highest standards with leading edge audio visual conferencing and presentation facilities. Feature tea and coffee pods and games and leisure spaces were also constructed. A large scale fully fitted restaurant standard kitchen, canteen and dining area was constructed on 3rd floor which caters for up to 350 employees.
- Raised access floors and carpet, tile, and vinyl floor finishes
- Block Walls, stud partitions, steel framing, boarding and plasterwork and wall tiling
- Extensive feature suspended ceilings incorporating baffle ceilings and acoustic ceilings with linear recessed lighting and multiple in built lighting features
- Skirtings, doors and joinery features
- Electrical installation including all general services, small power, UPS supplies, Fire Alarm, Security/CCTV & Access control installation, complete with backup generator.
- Extensive Data wiring, Audio Visual facilities, IT installation works including a number of large scale Comms Rooms accommodating extensive IT support equipment
- Mechanical installation, comprising of air conditioning and heating, underfloor heating, plumbing and drainage, bathroom and sanitary installations, post-formed toilet cubicle systems with vanity units, firefighting equipment and BMS controls
- Lift installations and feature balustrading and hand railing
- Fire proofing, fire remediation works and firefighting services installations
- Glazed screens to office units and to 3 storey glazed atrium reception space
- Bespoke office furniture and fittings, acoustic wall panelling, loose furniture, automated window blinds and various built in joinery and raised seating areas & reception fittings
- Decoration and Wall Art
- Restaurant standard kitchen fit out and dining areas to cater for 350 people